Christmas time is family time as well as movie time. There were almost too many things to choose from with hobbits, ronin, princesses, aging boxers and Amy Adams making out with Jennifer Lawrence.
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug barely beat Frozen to be number one for the third week in a row. The second film in the trilogy has passed $500 million worldwide. Frozen continues to defy the odds and rake in cash taking in $28.8 million in its sixth week of release and is about to cross $250 million domestically.
Among the new releases The Wolf of Wall Street took in $18.5 million and $34.3 million since Christmas Day. The Secret Life of Walter Mitty and 47 Ronin disappointed. Combined the two movies made $48 million since Christmas with both having a combined budget of $290 million.
1. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug- $29.8 million/ $190.3 million
2. Frozen- $28.8/ $248.3
3. Anchorman- $20.1/ $83.6
4. American Hustle- $19.5/ $60.0
5. The Wolf of Wall Street- $18.5/ $34.3
6. Saving Mr. Banks- $14.0/ $37.8
7. The Secret Life of Walter Mitty- $13.0/ $25.5
8. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire- $10.2/ $391.1
9. 47 Ronin- $9.8/ $20.5
10. A Madea Christmas- $7.4/ $43.7