January is no longer becoming a month for Hollywood to dump its leftovers. After Lone Survivor had the second biggest January opening ever, Ice Cube and Kevin Hart decided to one-up them. Their buddy flick, Ride Along, brought in a staggering $41.2 million, doubling the studio expectations making it the biggest January opening ever. You can expect a sequel to this (presumably called Next Ride Along followed by After Next Ride Along) before you know it.
Jack Ryan’s return to theaters was not what the character is used to. Shadow Recruit could only manage $17.2 million, only half of the opening gross for The Sum of All Fears 11 years ago. The movie only had a budget of $60 million so it may be able to break even with worldwide totals when all is said and done.
1. Ride Along- $41.2 million/ $41.2 million
2. Lone Survivor- $23.2/ $74.0
3. The Nut Job- $20.5/ $20.5
4. Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit- $17.2/ $17.2
5. Frozen- $11.9/ $332.6
6. American Hustle- $10.6/ $116.4
7. Devil’s Due- $8.5/ $8.5
8. August: Osage County- $7.5/ $18.1
9. The Wolf of Wall Street- $7.5/ $90.2
10. Saving Mr. Banks- $4.1/ $75.3
Leave a Reply